If you have a serious matter please ask to speak to a senior solicitor/partner
Brian has been involved in heavyweight legal defence work for some 25 years instructed on some of the most notable cases in UK legal history. He takes private and legal aid instruction. He has a loyal following of clients built up over 25 years in the UK and abroad regularly being instructed by those in the public eye, professionals, company directors and alleged cyber groups.
His work brings him into contact with lawyers working with international governments on a regular basis.
Brian specialises in serious and heavyweight fraud and regulatory defence cases often with international dimensions. Brian specialises in prosecutions brought by the Serious Fraud Office, Crown Prosecution Service, Financial Conduct Authority, HMRC and Trading Standards.
Brian is known as being proactive and an innovative thinker and his client care is second to none. He is ferocious in defending his clients whether they are lead defendants or further down the indictment.
With a proven track record of success in negotiating with prosecution agencies to either not pursue a charge or in the event of charge having cases dismissed through legal argument of abuse of process or no case to answer.
Brian is acutely aware of the impact proceedings may have on direct and indirect family members and his services are alive to these issues.
Recent Notable Fraud Cases:
- Operation Erasure: One of the largest Missing Trader Intra-community Fraud cases this country has ever seen Heard at Liverpool Crown Court - 2010-2012. Achieved successful half time submission of no case to answer. Value of the fraud was estimated at £130 million.
- Operation Forbear Again one of the largest Missing Trader Fraud cases the UK has ever seen with huge international research and representation that had to be undertaken. Value estimated £250 million.
- Operation Penco: multi million pound Ponzi fraud in the city of London. Defendant acquitted
- Operation Duma: Large scale allegation of carousel trading resulting in a six month trial with a value of £40 million.
- Operation Pylon: Mortgage fraud conspiracy with 17 defendants all represented at a very high level. Representing the only client out of 17 defendants to be acquitted following trial.
- Operation Brimstone: Valued at £4 million, highly complex mortgage fraud and money laundering case. Again successfully represented, the case collapsed.
- Operation Fluency: Largest ever UK internal Inland Revenue fraud conducted by internal affairs department and associated money laundering counts.
- Involved in the preparation of defending in a very complex case which revolved around a waste disposal fraud.
- Involved in the defence of a high profile alleged electoral fraud case.
- Regularly instructed on heavyweight duty evasion cases involving cigarettes and alcohol with national and international dimensions.
Recent Notable Serious Crime Cases:
- Operation Excalibur: Greater Manchester police operation focusing on the gang culture in the inner city of Manchester. Represented the notorious Gooch and Doddington gangs respectively on large scale conspiracy to supply drug cases and associated firearms and murder allegations.
- Operation Lantern: Chinese triad violent disorder in Manchester's China town. Instructed by all 20 defendants and dealt with them all at the police station stage. Acted for the main defendant as the matter progressed through the court.
- R v A: Case requiring sensitivity and understanding of the cultural issues involved.
- R v B: Complex human rights matter concerning cyber crime. This matter was eventually resolved at the police station stage. The client e-mailed to say "thanks to Brian Mason Esq, who showed great consideration, decency, efficiency, intelligence, legal acuity and wisdom".
- R v C: International money laundering investigation with an FBI involvement.
- R v D: International conspiracy to defraud and associated money laundering offences.
- R v E: defending lead defendant in one of the largest trading standards prosecutions ever in UK.
- R v F: defending in one of the largest duty evasion cases in history involving national and international investigation work and representations.
In his private life he pilots small aircraft in the UK for pleasure and is a keen motorcyclist. Brian is also an avid Manchester United Fan.