Riad is a highly respected and experienced fraud and regulatory criminal defence lawyer, specialising in serious and complex cases brought by various authorities including the CPS, the National Crime Agency, Serious Fraud Office and HMRC.
Riad is highly regarded by his loyal client basis of individuals who value his expertise, discretion and tenacity in defence of their cases. His reputation is supported by his track record of successes ranging from discontinuance of matters before charge in the police station, applications of withdrawal of prosecutions, as well as preparing successful abuse of process arguments and securing acquittals at trial.
Riad has built his client base up purely through reputation and personal recommendations and is regularly referred for serious and complex defence matters by UK and international law firms and barristers’ chambers whose clients require his expert legal advice and input. His excellent connections also ensure that the country’s leading defence barristers and experts, as well as specialist interpreters for those clients for whom English is not their first language, are available to vigorously defend their cases.
Riad defends in a variety of cases both domestically and internationally, including:
- Conspiracies to defraud, to supply drugs, etc.
- Criminal fraud, including, banking, carousel, boiler room, investment, mortgage, insurance, land, diversion, NHS, trading, Ponzi scheme and short and long term frauds.
- Civil fraud, director or corporate wrongdoing and governance, asset forfeiture and recovery.
- Cyber crime and internet fraud
- Company investigations, cartel offences, insider dealing, market abuse, rate fixing and other FCA investigations and proceedings.
- Bribery and corruption matters
- Competition and Markets Authority (CMA) investigations and proceedings.
- Disqualification of directors, VAT & Duties Tribunals.
- Evasion of taxes including VAT, Duty and PAYE and the suppression of income.
- False documents, false accounting, false returns and deception.
- Counterfeiting and forgery
- High value theft
- Money laundering and other Proceeds of Crime Act (POCA) offences
- Cash seizures and Restraint (Freezing) Orders
- Large scale drug trafficking, sham marriages and people trafficking.
- Business Regulatory Law including breaches of Health and Safety, corporate manslaughter, Food Safety, Trading Standards, consumer protection, licensing breaches and Environmental Law.
- Extradition, European Arrest Warrants (EAW) and Interpol Red Notices.
- Judicial Review
- Appeals against conviction and sentence
Riad’s clients are located throughout England and Wales and also include foreign nationals currently under investigation or being prosecuted within the United Kingdom. Riad can be instructed via private, insurance and legal aid (where available) funding avenues.
Notable Recent Cases include:
- R v C - Conspiracy to defraud by false representations
- R v K - Fraud offences
- R v S - Conspiracy to defraud immigration law
- R v G - Conspiracy to supply drugs
- R v M - Conspiracy to cheat the public revenue of VAT and PAYE
- R v P - Money laundering and other Proceeds of Crime Act offences
- R v S - Banking fraud
- R v D - Engaging in unfair and misleading commercial practices
- R v K - Fraudulent disposal of property
- R v J - Obtaining services dishonestly
Memberships and Associations:
- Member of the Law Society of England & Wales
- Member of the Society of Asian Lawyers
- Member of the London Criminal Courts Solicitors' Association
In his spare time, Riad enjoys playing golf, fine dining and travel.