Check your eligibility for Legal Aid Download Legal Aid forms
Premium Private Client Service
We do not charge for enquiries and short telephone consultations. Please note that this is not always suitable for serious or complex cases or where the consequences of the case are serious for you. We provide a full private fee service as well as legal aid services.
If you have been accused of criminal offences, either professionally or personally, it is imperative to deal with the problems that will arise rapidly. In many cases, we can do proactive work on your behalf. Many small firms or duty solicitors do not have the time or support staff to see you at short notice or to do advance proactive work.
How proactive work helps you -
* Building your case at the outset
* Persuading the police to drop the case early
* Persuading the CPS prosecution to drop the case
* When possible Securing a police caution for you
Our team of Senior Crime Lawyers can help you or your family. We act for clients from all walks of life including professionals and businesses. Our team are recognised as leading and excellent proactive criminal lawyers. We will give you access to a Senior Crime Partner same day if required including out of hours. Senior Partners and Lawyers have experience in thousands of cases and the best experience and professional contacts that you will inevitably benefit from.
We specialise in ensuring the police and prosecution provide the fullest disclosure to ensure our clients are fully aware of the case they face and do not come across surprises down the line. This also ensures the case can be proven and we are certain there is evidence the police or prosecution can proceed with to get a case off the ground.
As part of our service we can, in the appropriate cases, secure the best possible results by plea bargains.
OUR PROFESSIONAL BODY THE LAW SOCIETY AWARDED US IN OCTOBER 2020 WITH THE EXCELLENCE IN CLIENT SERVICE AWARD AND STATED -
"JD Spicer Zeb demonstrated a clear commitment to client service through their work with vulnerable and diverse individuals in what can be severely traumatic circumstances".
We can advise you on whether we should commence proactive work on your behalf and engage professional support such as experts and barristers. We will where necessary decide whether we can invite the police or prosecuting agency to not pursue or drop investigations.We can do this if there is little or no evidence and or it is not in the public interest to prosecute you. We can also where appropriate seek out of court disposals such as cautions or community resolutions.
We are experts at making successful written representations and legal arguments to the police and prosecution as part of our robust proactive work. See our website for actual success after stuccoes.
If you require the best private premium fee service to secure the best possible outcome please read below. Our lawyers fight for justice on a daily basis and have a proven track record. It may be possible to speak to the most senior lawyer or partner on the same day. Simply put this could make a difference to the outcome for you. If you require an opinion of a specialist experienced barrister or QC then we can also arrange this. We have strong links with some of the best barristers and QCs' in the UK. If you require Legal Aid funding please get in touch on the contact form or call us. Read a small sample of the hundreds of successful cases we do yearly below. We have been doing this for 44 years!
Legal aid is available for the police station attendance, this scheme does not extend to:
- Meetings with you prior to attending the police station.
- Proactive work to assist your case
- Meeting with you after attending the Police Station privately with us at our office or virtually 24 hours a day.
- Other preparation work and proactive work for you to try to get the case dropped.
- Advising your parents or partner in full meetings after we advise you ( providing you consent ).
Some clients prefer a service whereby we discuss the case well in advance or after the police station attendance with them and away from the police station in a private and confidential meeting. This is, as referred to above, on a private fee basis. This is with an expert for example as in the medical profession where you see a consultant rather than a GP.
Why should you consider premium service for the police station stage?
- You can consult the Senior Crime Partners and lawyers of this firm directly same day including out of hours
- Help from a specialist and pro-active Lawyer can lead to the right outcome for you.
- You are more likely to obtain the outcome you seek
- You will receive the highest level of client care possible from your case team lawyers
- We can offer affordable and fixed fee solutions to most cases.
- We defend you at any police station or court in England or Wales.
- You are able to instruct this firm with an excellent track record and high independent client reviews
- We aim to get the case dropped early in proceedings
- We fight for your innocence and are trained to undertake proactive steps to win your case
- If the case is likely to have serious consequences for you now or in the future and you have the means to pay for this service.
- If you wish to maximise the prospects of a successful outcome to your case.
- We won the Law society Excellence Award 2020 for Excellence in Client Service.
- If you wish to have a high level of client care and attention to your case.
- If you wish to instruct a firm with over 44 years of experience in the most serious and complex national-level cases regularly attracting widespread media interest.
- In private cases we can also guarantee the attendance of the most senior and experienced solicitor available to attend the police station with you (including virtual attendances).
- These lawyers are not always available and to arrange for them to act for you, we are able to do so privately and not on legal aid, the fees for such work can be agreed in advance.
- We are experts and have substantial actual experience.
- We are a well-known firm of solicitors not just operating online but with long-standing offices.
- Engaging a lawyer to advise in-depth early can make a huge difference.
- We can meet with you out of hours at a mutually agreed time at your convenience.
What can we do through private funding?
- Arrange an advance private meeting with you before the police station and cover your case at the police station under legal aid if you wish.
- See you at your convenience including out of hours and weekends.
- Advise you and your family if you consent.
- Make contact with the police on your behalf.
- Attend the police station with you.
- Assist in interviewing witnesses on your behalf.
- Write to the police and request a review and discontinuance of the case or seek an out-of-court disposal, caution or settlement.
- Engage specialist experts if advised such as doctors or forensic experts.
- Provide a second opinion if you had a duty solicitor or other lawyer and we can obtain your notes.
- Engage a specialist barrister in complex cases.
- Arrange the transfer of your case to us from a previous solicitor.
Our fee guide for the police station stage advance meetings and pro active work for you
- 1 hour meeting and preparation can be undertaken by us for from £300.plus VAT
- 2 hours meeting and preparation can be undertaken by us from £400. plus VAT
- 3 hours meetings and preparation can be undertaken by us from £500. plus VAT
- 4 hours meetings and preparation can be undertaken by us from £600. plus VAT
- 5 hours meetings and preparation can be undertaken by us from £700. plus VAT
If the case is complicated, it will require more senior lawyers and more time, which will have an impact on fees.
Attending the police station
In order to attend the police station with you privately, we can agree a fixed fee from £500 to £1,000 plus VAT depending on location and complexity. We can meet with you before and after attendance at the police station. Our Lawyers are experts and can make a big difference to the outcome.
We are always reasonable on fees and willing to agree on fair fees. We are flexible on fees as we know our clients sometimes go through difficult financial periods. If you cannot pay the full amounts, please contact us to discuss fees.
All fees currently attract 20 % VAT.
Private Court Attendance
Why consider premium service for court attendance?
- You will receive a first-class bespoke premium service.
- You can choose a specialist advocate or barrister who may not be taking the case on legal aid as the funding is poor.
- Many clients want experts and care that a senior solicitor brings to their case.
- Where a client is of good character and a conviction would lead to serious repercussions for their career.
- You will want the benefit of their years of experience in similar cases and their undivided attention.
- To guarantee excellent service, then you may wish to consider paying privately.
- Solicitors undertaking legal aid work at court are likely to have multiple cases and can only do work that is reasonably required as this is publicly funded work.
- You will not always be able to choose the most senior solicitors/barristers or necessarily the most senior lawyers through legal aid.
- You will not be able to have repeat meetings that may not be strictly necessary through legal aid.
- You may not be able to order reports that are not fully justifiable at public expense but could make a difference to the outcome of your case through legal aid. You can also order and pay for whatever experts you require.
- If you pay a solicitor on a private basis to attend court with you then once the fee is agreed, we can do everything that you reasonably require and our professional rules allow.
- It is likely you will receive a much more thorough service, which is especially important for complex cases.
- You can also pay for whichever solicitor or barrister you wish to represent you.
Our fee guide for criminal cases private Magistrates’ court or Crown court attendance (non-motoring cases).
- First appearance or routine sentence at court only depending on location, complexity from £500 plus VAT to £1,000 plus VAT. (Complicated legal argument hearings are not covered by this fee).
- You may benefit from a meeting in advance to discuss the case. Please see fee guide above for police station work.
Estimates for trials or other non-motoring work
We can only provide a realistic estimate once we have appeared at court and have received a meaningful indication of the Prosecution evidence.
- Trial magistrate courts from £1,500 to £5,000 Plus VAT where more complicated issues arise and more work is required.
- Appeal magistrate court from £1,500 plus VAT.
- Crown court - we cannot provide an estimate until we know more about the case. A guilty plea will cost from £2,000 to £5,000 plus VAT, plus cost of advocate for hearings and other costs for reports, experts etc.
- Not guilty plea cases will cost from £3,000 to £20,000 plus VAT, for most cases. Complicated or more serious cases requiring more work, with voluminous papers, meaning substantial preparation will require a bespoke quotation.
Hourly rates not fixed fee agreements
- We can offer hourly rates depending on the complexity of each case.
- Partner from £275 per hour.
- Solicitor from £200 per hour.
- Trainee/paralegal from £150 per hour.
- Letters, calls and emails are charged at 1/10 of the hourly rate.
- We will give you an estimate in good faith on the number of hours your case is likely to require. This estimate can be based on the entire case or by each stage of the case (pretrial, preparation and trial, sentences).
All rates will attract additional VAT at 20%.
In addition to our charges, there may be additional costs for barristers, experts, reports, interpreters, or other associated disbursements such as photocopying, bundling etc.
Each case will require different levels of input and work.
We will always advise you on legal aid eligibility if you seek this and our team will apply for public funding if you are eligible.
You are under no obligation to instruct us privately if you qualify for a legal aid service. Our team is dedicated to providing a high quality service in all cases. For more information, click here.
For new serious cases you can email a senior partner/lawyer directly by clicking here. When you call us you can request a call back or meeting the same day with a senior partner/lawyer or Barrister.
If you believe your case is likely to have serious consequences for you now, or in the future, and you have the means to pay for this service please read more about our bespoke private fee service.