If you have a serious matter please ask to speak to a senior solicitor/partner
Premium Private Fee Service - Criminal Defence
Our Lawyers are highly ranked independently on many platforms online such as Google, Trustist and Review Solicitors.
You need the best legal team to advise you. We respond rapidly and if you have not been interviewed we advise you in advance whether to answer police questions or to answer no comment. Can bad advice or an inexperienced lawyer damage your case? Yes it can! We can meet out of hours or weekend, at our office, virtually or your choice of location by agreement. An expert witness can be engaged by us to give a defence opinion on an issue that is outside the police or court’s expertise. Experts can be instructed to assist the police or court in understanding your technical defence which might be financial, medical, scientific or professional.
Umar Zeb and our team have substantial experience in building your case with proactive work. We continue to achieve almost daily conclusions of cases prior to arrest and charge by making written and oral representations to authorities.
The government has recently stated that particularly in domestic, rape, and sexual offences, they will push to achieve higher convictions. As an established firm, we can allocate a whole team to assist you. This service is of particular benefit in sensitive allegations, allegations of harassment, assault and violence.
Where possible, we establish that there is insufficient evidence for you to be charged and/or that a prosecution should not proceed in the public interest. We build detailed, strong legal submissions and a ‘no stone unturned’ defence to your pre-charge case.
When suitable, in routine cases, we can help on a Fixed fee basis from £500 plus VAT and provide initial advice for up to 2 hours. More complicated cases or substantial work will attract higher fees. If you have been accused of a criminal offence, it is imperative to deal with problems that will arise rapidly, often we can do proactive work. Few, if any firms, can beat us on response times to your inquiry, as they do not have the time or support staff. We can investigate your case as far as possible, if the police are not doing this or you require an independent investigation and preparation. We have strong resources and experienced teams.
How proactive work helps you -
- Building your case and limiting damage to you including taking statements and securing your defence expert reports
- Providing a leading and premier service
- Mitigating your position even if you admit offences
- Persuading the Police or CPS to drop the case early
- When possible Securing a Police caution or out of court Police-community resolution for you
Our team of Senior Lawyers can help you or your family. We act for clients from all walks of life. Our team are recognised as leading criminal lawyers. We can give you access to a Senior Crime Partner on the same day, including out of hours. Senior Partners and Lawyers have the best experience and professional contacts to benefit you. We can assure you peace of mind and access to leading lawyers.
We specialise in ensuring the Police and prosecution provide the fullest disclosure to ensure our clients are fully aware of the case they face and do not come across surprises down the line. This also ensures that we can be certain a prosecution can proceed.
As part of our service we can, in appropriate cases, secure the best possible results by plea bargains.
OUR PROFESSIONAL BODY THE LAW SOCIETY AWARDED US IN OCTOBER 2020 WITH THE EXCELLENCE IN CLIENT SERVICE AWARD AND STATED -
"JD Spicer Zeb demonstrated a clear commitment to client service through their work with vulnerable and diverse individuals in what can be severely traumatic circumstances".
We can advise you on whether we should commence proactive work and engage professional support such as experts and barristers. We can invite the Police or prosecuting agency to not pursue or drop investigations. We can do this if there is little or no evidence and or it is not in the public interest to prosecute you. We can also seek out of court disposals such as cautions or community resolutions.
We are experts at making successful written representations and legal arguments to the Police and prosecution as part of our robust proactive work. See our website for our success.
Our lawyers fight for justice on a daily basis and have a proven track record. It may be possible to speak to the most senior lawyer or partner on the same day. Simply put, this could make a difference to your case. We can arrange the opinion of a specialist experienced barrister or QC. We have strong links with some of the best barristers and KCs (Kings Counsel) in the UK. If you require Legal Aid funding, please get in touch on the contact form or call us. Read below a small sample of the hundreds of successful cases we have done. We have been doing this for 45 years!
Legal aid is available for Police Station attendance, this scheme does not extend to:
- Meetings prior to attending the Police Station
- Proactive work to assist your case
- Meeting with you after attending the Police Station 24 hours a day
- Other preparation and proactive work to try to get the case dropped
- Advising parents or parents on your case, with your consent.
Some clients prefer discussing their case in advance or after their Police Station attendance. This can only be done on a private fee basis
Why should you consider premium service for the Police Station stage?
- You can consult the Senior Crime Partners and lawyers of this firm directly same day including out of hours
- Help from a specialist and pro-active Lawyer can lead to the right outcome for you
- You will receive the highest level of client care possible from your lawyers including out of hours
- We can offer affordable and fixed fee solutions
- In private cases, we can also guarantee the attendance of the most senior and experienced solicitor available to attend any Police Station in England and Wales with you (including virtual attendances)
- This can only be done when we are instructed privately and not on legal aid
- You are instructing a firm with an excellent track record and client reviews
- We aim to get the case dropped early in proceedings
- If the case is likely to have serious consequences for you now or in the future and you have the means to pay for this service
- If you wish to maximise the prospects of a successful outcome to your case
- We won the Law society Excellence Award 2020 for Excellence in Client Service
- If you wish to instruct a firm with over 45 years of experience in the most serious and complex national-level cases regularly attracting widespread media interest
What can we do through private funding?
- Arrange an advance private meeting with you before the Police Station and cover your case at the Police Station privately, including out of hours and on weekends if you wish
- Advise you and your family, if you consent
- Make contact with the Police on your behalf or write to the Police and request a review and discontinuance of the case or seek an out-of-court disposal, caution or outcome
- Assist in interviewing witnesses on your behalf
- Engage specialist experts if advised, such as doctors or forensic experts
- Provide a second opinion if you had a duty solicitor or other lawyer and we can obtain your notes
- Engage a specialist barrister in complex cases
- Arrange the transfer of your case to us from a previous solicitor
Our fee guide for the Police Station stage advance meetings and proactive work for you -
Preparation rates are from the rates below. These are a guide only -
- 2 hours meeting and preparation can be undertaken from £500 plus VAT (suitable most cases for initial advice only)
- 3 hours meetings and preparation can be undertaken from £750 plus VAT (suitable for initial work and follow-up)
- 4 hours meetings and preparation can be undertaken from £1,000 plus VAT
- 5 hours meetings and preparation can be undertaken from £1,250 plus VAT
Prior to this meeting, we will read your papers if possible in the time agreed. These times include all letters, calls, and emails which are charged as 6 minutes time.
If the case is complicated, it will require more senior lawyers and more time, which will have an impact on the fees quoted. We will provide an estimate of all further work once this is possible and the issues are clearly known.
Attending the Police Station
In order to attend the Police Station with you privately, we can usually agree on a fixed fee from £750 to £2,500 plus VAT depending on the location and complexity. This will also depend on the seniority of the lawyer you require. We can meet with you before and after attendance at the Police Station. Our Lawyers are experts and can make a big difference to the outcome. Travel and other costs such as hotel fares if required will be agreed in advance.
We are always reasonable on fees and willing to agree on fair fees. We are flexible on fees as we know our clients sometimes go through difficult financial periods. If you cannot pay the full amount, please contact us to discuss fees.
All fees currently attract 20 % VAT.
Private Court Attendance
Why consider premium service for court attendance?
- You will receive a first-class bespoke premium service
- You can choose a specialist advocate or barrister who may not be taking legal aid case
- Many clients want experts and care that a senior solicitor brings to their case
- Where a conviction would lead to serious repercussions for their career
- Solicitors undertaking legal aid work at court are likely to have multiple cases and can only do work that is reasonably required from publicly funded work
- You will not always be able to choose the most senior solicitors/barristers through legal aid
- You will not be able to have repeat meetings through legal aid
- You may not be able to order reports that are not fully justifiable at public expense but this could make a difference to the outcome of your case through legal aid. You can also order and pay for whatever experts you require
- Once paid on a private basis to attend court we can do everything that you reasonably require and our professional rules allow.
- You will probably receive a more thorough service, which is especially important for complex cases
- You can also pay for whichever solicitor or barrister you wish to represent you
Our fee guide for criminal cases private Magistrates’ court or Crown court attendance (non-motoring cases). These are only a guide.
- First appearance or routine hearings or sentence at court only depending on location, complexity from £8,00 plus VAT to £2,500 plus VAT. (Complicated legal argument hearings are not covered by this fee). The fees may be higher for Senior team members
- You are likely to benefit from a meeting in advance to discuss the case
- We will agree in writing all work that will be covered
- We will provide you with an estimate of further work as soon as it is possible
Estimates for trials or other non-motoring work
We can only provide a realistic estimate once we have appeared at court and have received a meaningful indication of the Prosecution evidence. We can provide a guide only below.
- Trial magistrate courts from £2,000 to £5,000 Plus VAT where more work is required or based on complexity
- Appeal from magistrate court from £3,000 plus VAT plus additional costs to be quoted
- Crown Court - we cannot provide an estimate until we know more about the case. A guilty plea will cost from £2,500 to £5,000 plus VAT, plus the cost of advocate for hearings and other costs for reports, experts etc
- Crown Court Not guilty plea cases will cost from £5,000 to £25,000 plus VAT for most cases. Complicated or more serious cases requiring more work, with voluminous papers, meaning substantial preparation will require a bespoke quotation from £30,000 plus VAT
Hourly rates not fixed fee agreements
- We can offer hourly rates depending on the complexity of each case. We have provided a guide below for starting rates
- Partner from £400 per hour
- Solicitor from £300 per hour
- Trainee/paralegal from £250 per hour
- Letters, calls and emails are charged at 1/10 of the hourly rate.
- We will give you an estimate in good faith on the number of hours your case is likely to require. This estimate can be based on the entire case or by each stage of the case (pretrial, preparation and trial, sentences)
All rates will attract additional VAT at 20%.
There may be additional costs for barristers, experts, reports, interpreters, or other associated disbursements such as photocopying, bundling etc.
We will always advise you on legal aid eligibility if you seek this and our team will apply for public funding if you are eligible an we agree to accept the case on a legal aid basis.
You are under no obligation to instruct us privately if you qualify for a legal aid service. Our team is dedicated to providing a high-quality service in all cases. For more information, click here.
Do we offer free consultations? Read more here